Up close and personal with Hermann Hesse
In Calw you will feel close to Hermann Hesse. When you visit the original settings of his stories, the literature comes alive. Houses with the finest timber framework line the streets of Hermann Hesse's hometown. Breathe in the unique flair of the town on a leisurely stroll around the pretty shops and charming cafes. Discover the sites of its moving history in the exciting museums.
An impressive piece of history
…is waiting for you in the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter and St Paul. Immerse yourself in the fascinating atmosphere of this historical place. Let the charm of bygone days work on you in the monastery of St. Aurelius and its museum. Take a break in the delightful monastery cafe to round off the eventful afternoon.
Historical town centre with half-timbered houses, Hirsau Monastery, Waldeck Castle ruins, various themed tours
A rich variety of museums: Hermann Hesse Museum, Monastery Museum, Tannery Museum, Farmhouse Museum, Town Museum in Palais Vischer, "The Tall One" tower (a former prison), Railway Signal Box 1 Calw-South
- Historical walking tour (May to October, Saturdays at 14:30 from the Market Square – in German Language)
- Guided tour of Hirsau Monastery (May to October, Saturdays at 14:30, Sundays/public holidays 11:00 and 15:30 from the monastery's main entrance – in German Language)
- Guided tour in the steps of Hermann Hesse (May to October, Sundays at 14:30 from the Market Square – in German Language)
- Other interesting guided tours are available, with themes such as Hermann Hesse, Calw's timber framework, the women of Calw and many more.
- Tours for groups can be booked 365 days of the year.
Premium hiking on the path for slow enjoyment alongside water, forest and meadows : www.calw.de/Black-Forest-Pleasure-Trail
Nature park moments and tours; GeoTours; over 240 km of signposted hiking trails, including the famous Ostweg and Gäurandweg routes; monastery route hiking trail; Huguenots' and Waldensians' way; 12 Nordic walking routes; geocaching tours
The longest cycle path in Baden-Württemberg, along the German Half-Timbered Houses Route, leads through Calw; there's also the Nagold Valley Cycle Path, the Literary Trail, the Monastery Routes Bike Path, mountain bike trail network, e-biking tours
Unusual fun:Hot rod tours